Monday, March 22, 2010

Blog #8 Identity Tourism in virtual communities… In what communities are alternate identities deemed okay?

As I answered the mid-term question on identity tourism, I realized I’ve know some people who have played different roles on games, switching gender, ethnicity, or whatever they wanted, and it seemed acceptable. Yet, I’ve also know people who have been very hurt by people pretending to be someone they were not in an online chat or other online community. What makes the situations so different? That is what inspired me to think about the different situations and explore more about how identity tourism and its role in virtual communities.

For my paper I was interested in researching and discussing identity tourism in virtual communities. I would like to look at what virtual communities accept and even expect identity tourism, and how other communities see identity tourism as a lie and inappropriate, to say the least.

1 comment:

  1. Ok - you stopped at the point of essentially saying you're going to summarize two sets of observations. Two sets of observations are important, but there needs to be some argument that comes out of it -- start by hypothesizing something, which will shape your research methodology, then by the end of it you will be able to make an argument. But you have to start with some hypothesis in mind, otherwise you're just going to gather & summarize.

    ReplyDelete